Neuro enhancers such as Piracetam are equally good for recovering alcoholics. The Noopept is a smart drug with many functions. The main job is to trigger the release of GABA (gamma amino butyric acid, a neurotransmitter). The family of racetams, which includes Pramiracetam and Oxiracetam, are potent intelligence enhancers. These come in handy during alcohol withdrawal when the brain faces many cognitive blocks.
How Alcohol Affects Brain?
Millions of people around the world are alcoholics. They spend endless days and nights getting drunk and wasting their lives. Alcohol offers instant sedation by lulling the brain cells to sleep. It does that by limiting oxygen supply to brain cells. They gasp for oxygen and start dying if the level of alcohol in blood is consistently high. National Institutes of Health in the United States list these health consequences caused by alcoholism.
- Delirium: One of the most common part of alcohol abuse, delirium strikes almost every alcoholic. It is another thing that it is not as serious a symptom as other ailments caused by alcoholism
- Blackout: A more serious outcome, blackout in alcoholics is the temporary ceasing of brain function. The person passes out and may take hours to regain full consciousness.
- Sensory Loss: Alcohol impairs the functioning of the motor nerves. This results in loss of sensation in hands, legs and other body parts. Involuntary movements and trembling is also common.
- Blindness: persistent overuse of alcoholic drinks may lead to blindness. Brain cells controlling eyesight stop functioning and this might be an irreversible condition.
- Memory Issues: Another risk of overindulgence in alcohol is the gradual loss of memory. Cognitive functions are significantly affected in people with a history of excessive drinking
- Liver disease: Many a die-hard alcoholics have succumbed to the cirrhosis of the liver. It is the final stage of the liver disease that starts with minor lapses in function. As many as half of all chronic alcoholics suffer from some type of liver dysfunction.
Piracetam and Alcohol Interaction
Combination of piracetam and alcohol can have both positive and negative outcomes. These substances have an almost opposite mode of action. While alcohol diminishes brain activity, piracetam enhances it. Consumption of alcohol leads to cognitive impairment as it slows down the neurons responsible for processing information. Taking piracetam simultaneously with alcohol can have an opposite effect. The drug is known to improve cognition and sensory perceptions. It triggers hormonal responses that bring in alertness and sobriety. Taking the two things together can nullify each other. This will result in fewer side effects of alcoholism as you will stay alert and active.
An adverse effect of taking alcohol and piracetam together is that you might lower your tolerance. This happens when you feel drunk even after drinking a few shots. One explanation of this occurrence is when piracetam enhances the potency of alcohol. It is thus a good idea to not combine the two substances.
Withdrawal is Not Easy
It is not just alcoholism that affects your health. Withdrawal can also be a pain. There is extreme lethargy to start with. Another casualty is the memory that works in bits and starts. One time you remember everything. The next time you have difficulty in recalling recent events. People start to forget names of those close to them. It is difficult to focus on complex situations such as solving a mathematical equation or even simple calculation. Sensory deprivation, mood swings and depression are some of the other common outcomes of alcohol withdrawal. Anxiety in itself is a serious enough symptom to be addressed as soon as possible.
Permanent memory loss might happen if you do not take corrective measures. These include the start of drug therapies that help in recovering the brain function. Piracetam is a good example.
Effects of Piracetam for Alcohol Withdrawal
There are encouraging Piracetam effects on the brain damaged by alcohol use. The drug is widely believed to be an excellent booster for brain functions. This is particularly true of memory re-enhancement and cognitive improvement. Regular intake of piracetam will help in:
- Strengthening Cognition: A common symptom of withdrawal is difficulty in remembering things. Brain cells are slow to respond after years of torture by alcohol. Piracetam can help overcome this problem by repairing brain cells. It does that by charging up the neurotransmitters and removing blockages that cause slow cognition.
- Improving sensation: Alcoholics often complain about loss of motion and sensory impairment. An early intervention of piracetam will help in alleviating this problem. It interacts with motion sensors in the brain and help restoring normal function.
- Preventing Depression: A major outcome of withdrawal is the setting in of depression. Impaired brain function is to blame for this condition. Piracetam can prevent this from happening if you start taking it soon after weaning off alcohol. This will keep the brain cells from malfunctioning thus avoiding depression.
Piracetam powder supplement is a good way to start therapy. This will also give you an impression of having a drink. The only difference is that this time the drink will be of healing nature. It is recommended that you start on piracetam regime as soon as the withdrawal symptoms kick in. Delaying the therapy is not a good idea. An early intervention can arrest the symptoms in their early stages. You will also need minimal dose at this stage. You will need higher quantities of piracetam in case of severe withdrawal symptoms.
One of the many benefits of piracetam is its lack of side effects. Some people may feel irritation or skin allergies but the instance remains very low. The drug enjoys a good tolerance otherwise. Research continues on the impact of piracetam on those suffering from the withdrawal syndrome. Findings have been promising so far. Those starting on early on piracetam can virtually avoid the lingering effects of withdrawal. Late therapy can also help in overcoming the symptoms fairly quickly. Success lies in starting early and continuing with the therapy until symptoms are resolved.