Alpha Brain Pills by Onnit labs is one of the most popular brain supplements in the market today. It took years of research to come up with the supplement, targeted to enhance user experience when it comes to better cognition. The following are the promised effects of Alpha Brain according to Onnit Labs:
- Boost neurotransmitters for better memory, learning, problem solving, etc.
- Mitigate stress to optimize productivity and performance
- Prevent oxidative damage (or free radical damage)
Joe Rogan, Sorel Mizzi, Michelle Waterson, Whitney Miller are just some of the people that say it works. But does the Alpha Brain supplement actually really deliver those promises? To learn more how does Alpha Brain work, let us take a look at the Alpha Brain active ingredients, the way they are grouped and their respective functions:
Alpha Brain Ingredient List
- AC-11 (350 mg per dosage) – Sacred Herb of the Forest
Alpha Brain is the only nootropic that has AC-11(formerly known as C-Med-100®). AC-11 is a potent extract from the Amazonian rainforest plant called Uncaria tomentosa, which is also known as cat’s claw or una de gato. It is traditionally used as an alimentary herb and researches link it to promoting the repair of DNA after environmental stress. Critics look at AC-11 as an interesting ingredient. Although is indicative of Alpha Brain’s drive to promote overall health and increased physical performance, it is not something that is looked at as having brain enhancing effects.
- Onnit Focus Blend (240 mg per dosage)
- Alpha Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (Alpha GPC) – originally derived from lecithin, it is known to be a very good choline source. Choline is the precursor of Acetylcholine, an important chemical for brain functioning. Unlike the cheaper forms of choline like choline bitrartate, Alpha GPC is proven to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier and is easily absorbed. Alpha GPC, together with the next ingredient on this list is considered to be a great combination for aiding brain boosting capacities of Alpha Brain in terms of learning, memory, focus and REM sleep.
- Huperzia Serrata – is an extract from the plant called northern firmoss. It is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, meaning it prevents the breakdown of acetylcholine, thereby aiding learning and memory. To put it simply, Alpha GPC increases acetylcholine then Huperzia Serrata keeps it at an elevated state. Huperzia Serrata has also been linked to helping with nerve growth and supporting long term brain improvements.
- Bacopa Monniera – is commonly found in the marshlands of India and is used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine to improve memory and cognition. It has also been studied for its antioxidant, anti-stress and aptogenic properties. The active compounds of Bacopa Monniera(also known as Bacopa Monnieri) are also researched to have protective functions on nerves, synapses and the hippocampus.
- Onnit Flow Blend (650 mg per dosage)
- L-tyrosine – amino acid that is the precursor of L-dopa, needed for the synthesis of epinephrine, dopamine and norepinephrine neurotransmitters. L-tyrosine is helpful in boosting memory, mental energy, concentration and skills in problem solving.
- Avena sativa – also known as oatstraw, this promotes rejuvenation and neurological improvement in terms of attentiveness. The Alpha Brain formula has a 20:1 concentration of oatstraw, making it a highly balanced nootropic.
- L-theanine – the amino acid isolated from green tea that inhibits the effects of GABA to relieve stress and memory recall. It can also have a mild stimulating effect, needed for enhancing mental energy and focus.
- Phosphatidylserine (PS) – a phospholipid cell component that is isolated from soy beans. It is known to promote better stress tolerance in athletes and boost performance capacity.
- Onnit Fuel Blend (65mg per dosage)
- Vinpocetine – derived from the periwinkle plant, this is a common ingredient in nootropic formulations. Vinpocetine possesses anti-oxidant properties, promotes flow of oxygenated blood to the brain, and protects the neurons. Vinpocetine is beneficial for memory, clearing brain fog, increasing and increasing alertness.
- Pterostilbene – a compound derived from blueberries and is said to lend neuron protection against free radicals. Pterostilbene can possibly lessen the chances of premature aging of the brain or mitigate the onset of age-related cognitive decline
- L-leucine – part of the ‘main’ amino acids group that is popular for its benefits in muscle building, healing tissues and detoxification. L-leucine deficiency is linked to some mental health issues and physical limitations. L-leucine is said to be helpful in enhancing mood, learning and memory.
- Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)
Vitamin B6 is considered to be one of the most needed vitamins in the human body because it is responsible for more than 101 chemical reactions. It is added in the Onnit Alpha Brain formulation to support the formation of neurotransmitters (i.e. GABA, dopamine and serotonin) and aid in the creation of amino acids. It has long been studied and related to cognitive functioning and it is said to possibly slow down age-related cognitive decline.
The suggested dosage of Alpha Brain is 1-2 capsules, taken with light meal. Those who weigh more than 200 are allowed to increase to 3 capsules and those who want lucid dreaming are suggested to take Alpha Brain 4-6 hours before going to bed. Alpha Brain is only for adults and is not suggested for pregnant or lactating women.
It is also interesting to note that because Alpha Brain does not have any racetams, it is common for people to create Alpha Brain stack combined with other OTC mood enhancers and nootropics like Piracetam, Adrafinil, Sunifiram, Aniracetam or Noopept.
Alpha Brain Source
Onnit Labs has also come up with a new Alpha Brain formula called Alpha Brain Source to cater to international clients wherein distribution of Alpha Brain is restricted or limited by regulations. The countries scheduled to receive Alpha Brain Source include Austria, Ireland, New Zealand and Sweden.
Quick Onnit Alpha Brain Review
First off, Onnit Labs deserves to be applauded for being transparent enough and providing consumers with detailed information about Alpha Brain. This is an important point, especially considering that other manufacturers of nootropics do not provide a clear ingredient list with concentration. And we all know that it is necessary for consumers to know what they are taking, right?
Secondly, the formulation of Alpha Brain looks quite powerful as is. It has some ingredients that are similar with other nootropics but the addition of AC-11 is a clear distinct feature, which seems promising given the proprietary blend. Some may say that the absence of caffeine seems good to avoid the feeling of ‘crash’ when not taking Alpha Brain while others may argue that the formulation needs to be supplemented with a racetam to get better power.